missing documentation

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Fri Jan 4 22:33:36 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 10:28 +0900, Ian Lewis wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Using Direct Connect and importing of QIF files etc. are simply there
> so you can import the transactions from your bank without having to
> enter them by hand. This can be a real time saver and doesn't really
> affect reconciliation. Basically looking at the web interface for your
> bank and entering transactions based on what's written there and
> importing from Direct Connect or a QIF is the same. Except that there
> is less chance for human error and less time spent when importing. You
> can then reconcile normally.

Ok, that's what I meant by making reconciliation pointless...since you
are now "reconciling" the same data against itself.

Normally in accounting, reconciling is where you compare your own record
against the bank's record to make sure they agree.  But if "your own
record" is just a clone of the bank's record, there isn't any actual
accuracy check going on.

Thomas