request for comments on inventory experiment

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Jan 5 17:13:33 EST 2008

"Lianto Ruyang" <lianto.ruyang at gmail.com> writes:
> I hope my description is quite clear and understandable. I need inputs from
> all of you whether this idea is good enough for an inventory system in
> gnucash and can be developed for future needs, any ideas, any directions
> will be greatly appreciated.

I know hardly anything about the practical concept and requirements of
"Inventory" tracking.

However, the system you proposed sounded very similar to Commodity accounts.
They, too, are children of Asset accounts, with Lots of "shares" (not
necessarily in integer values/units only), where the price of the commodity
varies over time.

I'm wondering if you can leverage that mechanism to implement inventory
here without such extensive changes.  Maybe just modifying the app/UI-layer
to accommodate Inventory.

> Account-T\ree
> |---Asset
>       |---Inventory Account 1
>       |       |---lots (goodsA's lots + goodsC's lots)
>       |---Inventory Account 2
>       |       |---lots (goodsB's lots)
>
> The only difference of an "Inventory Account" with other type of accounts
> is: the lots in "Inventory Account" will have a path "goods-guid" in its
> slot, pointing to a goods' GUID.
> So in the above example some  of "Inventory Account 1" lots will have a path
> "goods-guid" pointing to goodsA's GUID, an the rest will be pointing to
> goodsB's GUID.

In fact, the "goods-guid" slot would need to contain a list of the Goods
GUIDs of goodsA and goodsC, right?

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}