AUDIT: r16718 - gnucash/trunk/src/register/ledger-core - Choose a reasonable currency in stock registers (#116353)

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:04:27 EST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 1:23 PM, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 5. Januar 2008 02:18 schrieb Andreas Köhler:
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 25.12.2007, 11:23 -0500 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> > > Author: warlord
> > > Trac: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/16718
> >
> > ---8<---
> >
> > > +   gnc_info_dialog(NULL, "%s",
> > > +                   _("Could not compute the currency for this
> register.  "
> > > +                     "Using the locale currency."));
> > > +      }
> > >      }
> >
> > ---8<---
> >
> > Does this new translatable string break the string freeze if backported
> > to branches/2.2?
>
> Yes, it breaks the string freeze if we had one. However, I think the
> bugfix
> justifies introducing this additional one.
>
> Actually I'm not so sure whether the original message wording couldn't be
> improved. For one, "the locale currency" is probably a rather unknown term
> (think Windows user here). Couldn't we say something like:
>
>  Could not determine the account currency for this register.
>  Using the currency obtained from the system's locale setting instead.
>
> or similar? That should make it more useful for the non-techie user...
>
> Christian

I'd suggest getting a little simpler and more generic (the word "locale"
doesn't appear in the Windows control panel.)  And aren't "account" and
"register" redundant? How about:

Could not determine the account currency.
Using the default currency provided by your system.

-or-

Could not determine the currency for this register.
Using the system currency.

Just a thought,
Charles