gnucash hangs on reading older accounts file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 6 12:07:38 EST 2008

Hi,

Terry <fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com> writes:

> Okay - I think I'm back online now.  Installing a new computer and
> getting it running reliably takes a while.
>
> I asked this question a day or two ago about gnucash hanging when
> reading my accounts file. The file was created with the gnucash version
> running under Fedora Core 5. Don't know what the version number was
> exactly. 1.8.x I'm pretty sure.
>
> I ran the new version under Kubunto 7.10 with the --debug flag and
> posted the results.
>
> I have since downloaded the Windows version, Vista, and gnucash hangs
> there also on the same accounts file.
>
> Any thoughts on how to get the accounts file readable??
>
> Sorry if a method was posted and I missed it. Been trying to get the new
> computer work and between s/w and h/w failures and exchanges, I haven't
> been able to pay real close attention to the mailing list.

You don't say what version of GnuCash you're using.  There was a problem
at one point where it would appear to hang if there was a .LCK file left
due to a previous "crash".  Is there a file named <something>.LCK in the
same directory where your datafile is?