r16802 - gnucash/branches/2.2/po - [r16782] Move distributed qif source files into POTFILES.ignore, fixes make distcheck.

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Sun Jan 6 17:13:42 EST 2008

Hi Christian,

Am Sonntag, den 06.01.2008, 22:27 +0100 schrieb Christian Stimming:
> Am Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008 22:25 schrieb Christian Stimming:
> > > New Revision: 16802
> > > Trac: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/16802
> > >
> > > Modified:
> > >    gnucash/branches/2.2/po/POTFILES.ignore
> > >    gnucash/branches/2.2/po/POTFILES.skip
> > > Log:
> > > [r16782] Move distributed qif source files into POTFILES.ignore, fixes
> > > make distcheck.
> >
> > With this patch, the string from the two files from the patch and most
> > importantly src/import-export/qif/qif-parse.c shows up in po/gnucash.pot
> > again. The whole point of this commit was to avoid strings from those files
> > showing up in po/gnucash.pot.
> >
> > When you run "make pot", do strings from qif-parse.c show up in your
> > po/gnucash.pot?
>
> or, put in other words: When you do "rm po/POTFILES; make pot", does the file
> qif-parse.c show up in po/POTFILES? It should not, but in my (in-tree) build
> it does after this commit but didn't before.

As you broke make distcheck, I broke your commit ;-)

This all seems to be due to the following constraints:

      * Distributed files in POTFILES.skip will break 'make distcheck',
        because there is a custom check, probably to avoid forgetting to
        mark files translatable.

      * 'make distcheck' also calls FindLeftoutFiles in intltool-update
        which barks when it finds translatable strings in files that are
        in none of POTFILES, POTFILES.skip and POTFILES.ignore.

      * Files in POTFILES.ignore are not ignored when assembling
        POTFILES.in by running make-gnucash-potfiles, so if they have
        marked strings, they will appear in POTFILES as well.

To me it seems that there are basically four types of files:

     1. Files with no string markers, uninteresting
     2. Files to be translated, must appear in POTFILES.in and POTFILES
     3. Undistributed files to be ignored
     4. Distributed files to be ignored

What we did so far was to have files of type 3 in POTFILES.skip and
avoid files of type 4.  We needed POTFILES.ignore, which is marked
deprecated by intltool, because FindLeftoutFiles has its own way to find
to-be-translated files, practically ignoring our pre-selection by
make-gnucash-potfiles.

The qif files above are problematic in the current schema, because they
are of type 4 and found by make-gnucash-potfiles.  I could imagine two
ways to fix it:

     A. Remove the second check in distcheck-hook
     B. Let make-gnucash-potfiles ignore files in POTFILES.ignore as in
        the attached patch

I hope my findings are correct.

What shall we do?

-- andi5