r16802 - gnucash/branches/2.2/po - [r16782] Move distributed qif source files into POTFILES.ignore, fixes make distcheck.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jan 7 15:00:04 EST 2008

Hi Andi,

Am Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008 23:13 schrieb Andreas Köhler:

> > > With this patch, the string from the two files from the patch and most
> > > importantly src/import-export/qif/qif-parse.c shows up in
> > > po/gnucash.pot again. The whole point of this commit was to avoid
> > > strings from those files showing up in po/gnucash.pot.
>
> As you broke make distcheck, I broke your commit ;-)

hee hee.

> This all seems to be due to the following constraints:
>
>       * Distributed files in POTFILES.skip will break 'make distcheck',
>         because there is a custom check, probably to avoid forgetting to
>         mark files translatable.

Yes. Someone (Derek? Dave_p?) implemented this after we repeatedly found
several strings in files that we forgot to mark as translatable.

> To me it seems that there are basically four types of files:
>
>      1. Files with no string markers, uninteresting
>      2. Files to be translated, must appear in POTFILES.in and POTFILES
>      3. Undistributed files to be ignored
>      4. Distributed files to be ignored
>
> What we did so far was to have files of type 3 in POTFILES.skip and
> avoid files of type 4.

Yes. Maybe we should even exclude the import-export/qif directory from
distribution altogether? That would be yet another solution to this issue...
but as this will probably break other stuff, we shouldn't deal with this
right before the 2.2.3 release.

>      A. Remove the second check in distcheck-hook
>      B. Let make-gnucash-potfiles ignore files in POTFILES.ignore as in
>         the attached patch

I think your patch looks very good. I think this would solve the current issue
in a good way.

Derek wrote:
> I'd support B, but honestly this is a tough problem to solve..  If
> we ever DO migrate to the new QIF importer then we'll need to remember
> to undo this.
>
> So I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to #ifdef the code.
> Or does the gettext stuff ignore that?

The gettext extraction ignores any #ifdef conditionals -- it doesn't have a C
pre-processor, only a lexical parser. I think the easiest way to ensure this
doesn't get forgotten is to have the menu item string in one of those files
as well. An untranslated menu item is found rather quickly once it actually
shows up in the program.

Thanks a lot for this!

Christian