QIF importer treatment of zero-sum split transactions

Ian Lewis ianmlewis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:29:31 EST 2008

2008/1/8, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:

> Quoting Ian Lewis <ianmlewis at gmail.com>:
>
> >> Would it make sense to provide a boolean checkbox somewhere in the
> >> druid if we find one of these transactions to ask the user how to
> >> treat them?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm not sure the user would know unless you start asking
> > stuff like, "Was this QIF created with Money Dance or <insert bad QIF
> making
> > Quicken version here>?"
>
> Sure they would.   You just have to provide the right context.
> For example:
>
> "The Importer found a zero-balance transaction that looks like this:
> [insert transaction information here].  Is this correct or are the
> amounts inverted?"  [Correct] [Inverted]

Yah, but users get confused about the signs because they are different based
on which direction the transaction is going. Something that looks to them
like it's inverted might actually be not and the other way around. Probably
you're on the right track but some better wording and/or some thought as to
what goes in the [insert transaction information here] part would be in
good.

Ian