r17241 - gnucash/trunk/po - de.po: improve German translations for a few entries under "File - New". Closes 538900.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Jul 6 12:31:35 EDT 2008

Hi Rolf,

Am Sonntag, 6. Juli 2008 12:31 schrieb Rolf Leggewie:
> Hi Andi,
>
> welcome back.  Did I unknowingly step on your toes somehow?

no, not at all. You're only about to cause some unnecessary work for yourself,
which is what everyone would rather like to avoid.

> Andreas Köhler wrote:
> > have I missed some paradigm shift?  I thought translations would happen
> > on the stable branch, as written on
> > http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation .
>
> I am not aware of a paradigm shift.  I also plead guilty to not knowing
> about what you are referring to.
>
> - But -
>
> I still have not found it on the 20-or-so-pages link you gave.

Andi talked about "the stable branch", i.e. which SVN branch you should commit
changes on. And in that page, read the first sentences where the page talks
about SVN:

> The first thing to do is to download the latest STABLE branch of gnucash
> from SVN and get it to compile. See Translation Status to choose which
> branch to use for translations. Do not use the trunk branch unless
> specifically mentioned in Translation Status. Because the text in the trunk
> branch changes so much it would be a waste of time to translate it. Do not
> worry, when the trunk branch becomes stable the existing translations in
> the STABLE branch will be merged. Your work will not be lost.
(end quote)

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#Get_the_source_from_SVN
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status

> So, please help me understand, what is the *real* problem here? Should I
> have not made that commit to trunk but to stable instead?

Yes.

> Should I have made it to both stable and trunk?

No.

> BTW, my mail address works as you already found out and during my waking
> hours (!) I often can be caught in IRC as well.  I am rather unsure this
> needed discussion on the ml.

Commits go to the mailing list, hence it is common to discuss commits on the
mailing list as well. No need to feel offended for anyone, but that's just
how it is when you commit something. You're very welcome to commit your
translation change now on the stable branch in de.po.

Regards,

Christian