Feature proposal: shortened drop down list of accounts for entering transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 10 12:09:15 EDT 2008

Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> writes:

> Jannick Asmus wrote:
>> entering transactions (e.g. in the General Ledger) all accounts are
>> offered in the drop down list. Wouldn't it ease the use to offer just a
>> shortened list of 5, 10 or so account which were lately used?
>
> Sounds like a good idea, but ...

I think it sounds like a HORRIBLE idea.   99% of the time I already
know the account I want so I don't even USE the drop-down box.
The only time the dropdown gets used is when I'm actually searching
for an account (because I HAVEN'T used it lately).  Limiting
the drop down is a HORRIBLE idea.

Having said that, there are certainly things I can see that might
improve the list.  For example, perhaps the drop down only contains
'matching' accounts/subaccounts.  For example, if I've got
"Assets:" in the text then perhaps it only needs to show the
subaccounts of "Assets"..  And maybe can drop the "Assets:"
from the leading text.

But making it an LRU cache is really horrible.