Feature proposal: shortened drop down list of accounts for entering transactions

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield at acm.org
Fri Jul 11 12:04:28 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> I think it sounds like a HORRIBLE idea.   99% of the time I already
> know the account I want so I don't even USE the drop-down box.
> The only time the dropdown gets used is when I'm actually searching
> for an account (because I HAVEN'T used it lately).  Limiting
> the drop down is a HORRIBLE idea.

I agree with Derek.  I find I rarely use the drop-down, because GnuCash is
so clever about picking a value for me.

* I set up my regularly occurring transactions as scheduled transactions, so
the account is filled in right away.

* I use the same description for similar transactions that occur
irregularly, such as automated teller withdrawals.  In my Checkbook
account, I type "AT" in the description field and press Tab; GnuCash fills
in "ATM withdrawal" in the Description field, and fills in Expenses:Cash in
the Transfer account field.  Note that this works even for _infrequently_
used accounts, if the first few characters of the Description are unique.

In short, I wouldn't want the drop-down limited to the most recently used
accounts, because I have better ways of selecting those accounts.  I only
need the drop-down to get at the infrequently used accounts.

The only time I use the drop-down much is when a mutual fund company decides
to rebalance my holdings, and transfers units among the different funds
that I hold.  Even then, the keyboard shortcuts are very convenient.  I
don't have to search the drop-down for
Assets:RRSP:NameOfCompany:NameOfFund; I just type
 "A", ":",  "R", ":", "N", ":", "N".   Again, it helps if the names of
sibling accounts are unique in the first few characters.