time_t

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 15 17:05:16 EDT 2008

I would pay close attention to what Graham says here.

> I didn't say that *all* timestamps were unnecessary, what I said was
> that dates that are actually dates, and not times, are being stored as
> times, and that this is incorrect.
>
> For an example, look at the date entered in a transaction. The UI only
> allows you to choose a year, a month and a day, and because of this,
> you should only store a year, a month and a day.

It is actually the case that (depending on financial policies) storing
the actual time could present problems.

For example -- the rule might be "process all credits for the given date
before any debits for that date" --- or vice versa. If the programmer
mistakenly used time stamps rather than dates, the sort would not give
the expected results.

Michael