time_t

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Jul 16 14:37:40 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> These rules can certainly vary from place to place, locale to locale,
> or even person to person.   Why force the issue?

Because the consequences can be expensive.

I was lucky in that I found and located the source of the problem
relatively quickly. Had I not found it, I would have sent inaccurate VAT
returns to the tax authorities, and I would have been hard pressed to
explain to the tax authorities why my numbers were bogus had I have been
audited.

"Computer error" is a story the tax people have heard before, and it
would not have washed.

Finance software is important to engineer very, very carefully, because
the consequences of getting the numbers wrong are significant and severe.

Regards,
Graham