time_t

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 16 14:54:04 EDT 2008

Quoting Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> These rules can certainly vary from place to place, locale to locale,
>> or even person to person.   Why force the issue?
>
> Because the consequences can be expensive.

Yes, but how would you like it if we forced the issue and the way
GnuCash did it was NOT the way you needed it done?  Wouldn't you
prefer to be able to set it up for your particular locale in the
way YOU need it to be done?

> Finance software is important to engineer very, very carefully,
> because the consequences of getting the numbers wrong are significant
> and severe.

Absolutely!  Which is why I think the flexibility is IMPORTANT, because
what you need and what your neighbor needs are not necessarily
the same.  But if GnuCash is agnostic then we can let you set it up one
way and them set it up differently and GnuCash just doesn't care!
You both win.

In this case, using timestamps lets this happen.  Using day stamps
does not.