time_t

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Jul 17 04:29:07 EDT 2008

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

>>     <ts:date>2008-04-10 18:02:00 -0400</ts:date>
>
> The issue here isn't the data file (which I assumed we all agreed
> included the needed info).  The issue is that loading the
> nice ascii timestamp with timezone into just a time_t field in memory
> (even a 64 bit one) loses critical info: the timezone.

Java code has faced this exact problem for many years (java.util.Date
isn't a date, but a timestamp with no timezone information), and as a
result JSR310 has been proposed, which will see a whole new date and
calendar library in Java targeted for JDK7 (as I understand). The work
is based on work by the same people who created a date and time handling
library called Joda Time: http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/

Gnucash suffers the same date problems as do applications that use the
current built in Java date formatting. For those who don't fully
understand the implications of date handling, comparing Joda Time to
java.util.Date and java.util.Calendar should give an idea of the extent
of the problem.

Regards,
Graham