time_t

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Jul 17 04:29:36 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

>> Try the string "2008-04-11 00:02:00 +0200". Same timestamp. Different
>> date.
>
> * sigh *
>
> Are you intentionally ignoring my repeated statement that we need
> to CHANGE GNUCASH TO USE 1200Z?

No, read back what you said, which was "For example, what's
the difference between "2008-04-10 18:02:00 -0400" and
"2008-04-10 15:02:00 -0700"?   I would argue that there *is* no
difference.  Both timestamps are talking about the exact same time.
And hey look, they both say "2008-04-10"."

You are claiming, in this sentence, that the change in timezone doesn't
cause a change in date. I have showed your assertion to be false for the
example you gave.

> Nah, it's pretty easy to be consistent.  Indeed, GnuCash *IS*
> already very consistent on this already.

I have hunted down many bugs, and I can identify bugs that have a high
risk of coming back, this is one of them.

Remember my point about engineering finance software very carefully?
Avoiding bug traps like this is one way you do this.

Regards,
Graham