GDA: Status

Albert Lash albert.lash at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:38:42 EDT 2008

>> One problem with libdbi is that its scope doesn't cover everything that
>> libgda's does.  From what I can tell, libdbi doesn't have any apis to
>> cover table/index creation, and that is one area that has a lot of
>> individuality (e.g. autoinc integer fields).
>
> Is that the only individuality?  Or are there others as well?
> Could we abstract those pieces out ourselves?
> How do other projects using those technologies handle that?

While not optimal, is it a practical issue? Most SQLite drivers
automatically create  database if the target doesn't exist (not sure
about libdbi), and the tables could be created by a "create new file"
user event.

As for MySQL / Postgres, I can't imagine a user sophisticated enough
to want this who would be unwilling to follow some simple directions
to install the model.

However, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not advocating we ditch
gda - I'm leaving that decision up to Phil.