GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 4 09:49:55 EDT 2008

"Albert Lash" <albert.lash at gmail.com> writes:

>>> One problem with libdbi is that its scope doesn't cover everything that
>>> libgda's does.  From what I can tell, libdbi doesn't have any apis to
>>> cover table/index creation, and that is one area that has a lot of
>>> individuality (e.g. autoinc integer fields).
>>
>> Is that the only individuality?  Or are there others as well?
>> Could we abstract those pieces out ourselves?
>> How do other projects using those technologies handle that?
>
> While not optimal, is it a practical issue? Most SQLite drivers
> automatically create  database if the target doesn't exist (not sure
> about libdbi), and the tables could be created by a "create new file"
> user event.

Sorry, not a question of creating the database..  It's a question
of creating/updating all the GnuCash tables.  For example, the
auto increment column type is different on MySQL v. PG, so we'd
need to know the underlying DB type to know how to create the
table.

> As for MySQL / Postgres, I can't imagine a user sophisticated enough
> to want this who would be unwilling to follow some simple directions
> to install the model.

As I said in my previous message, MythTV already shows how to do
this with MySQL and PG without requiring any user intervention.
I really like their model.  It also allows easy DB model upgrades.