AUTHORS

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Sat Mar 1 08:19:55 EST 2008

Am Freitag, den 29.02.2008, 14:58 -0800 schrieb Andrew Sackville-West:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:07:37PM +0100, Andreas Köhler wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > to me it seems as if we do not really keep the AUTHORS file up-to-date.
> > At least I tend to hesitate because of the needs to
> >
> > * describe what patch contributors contributed
> > * describe possible future work to avoid necessary updates
> > * decide when "other contributors" evolve to "main developers"
> > * describe what they do and have done even more verbosely then
> >
> > So I would like to propose something completely different :-D  What
> > about simply listing names without email addresses or descriptions,
> > merging the two categories of contributors and sorting them
> > lexicographically (as if written in some form of latin letters),
> > something like the attachment.  I would also offer to gather all the
> > missing names from 2007 and 2008.
> >
> > I am not sure what to do with the history part of the file though.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Here's an idea: list the names like below and, if someone is a
> committer, list their svn login id so that their contributions can be
> tracked that way.

ack.

> or maybe, if trac will do it, give a link to a search by author. If
> someone really wants to know what a particular person did, they can
> follow the link.
>
> .02
>
> oh, and, did I get booted? ;-)

> > Andreas Köhler
> > Andreas Rottmann
> > Andrew Arensburger
>
> :(
>
> > Andy Wingo
> > Arnold Troeger
> > Bartek Szady

And you are not the only one! :-)

So here comes an update.

Before I change anything, I would first like to hear more opinions from
those almighty main developers at the top of the file, so no update in
GnuCash 2.2.4 ;-)

The following two issues still do not look resolved to me:

      * given the svn login names one can use the ChangeLogs and trac
        search to find out what that person did and is working on, but
        the textual description of the project's history would be lost.

      * how do we make sure that translators whose names might first
        appear on the stable branch get into trunk later on?

Thanks,
-- andi5