[ANN] gcinvoice.py, a tool to create invoices from templates

Roman Bertle bertle at smoerz.org
Fri Mar 7 06:41:56 EST 2008

Hello,

I herewith announce gcinvoice, a tool to create invoices from Gnucash
data files using templates.

About
-----

Up to now, Gnucash can create invoices, but the format and layout of
these invoices cannot be controlled freely using templates. Gcinvoice is
a tool which parses the Gnucash data file and uses a user provided
template to generate invoices. It is similar to g2latex
(http://stefans.datenbruch.de/gnucash/gc2latex.shtml) by Stefan Tomanek,
but the latter was not powerful enough for my needs, and did somehow not
work for me.

Features
--------

* works with data files from Gnucash starting with version 2.0.

* full support for discount and taxes, but WARNING:
  In my opinion, Gnucash does not calculate POSTTAX discounts correctly,
  see this bug in the Gnucash bug database. gcinvoice calculates the
  taxes the way I think it should be, and thus gives a different result
  for invoices with such discouts.

* needs only a working python installation, 2.5 <= version < 3.

* Can be run standalone, or easily integrated into python applications.

* gcinvoice is free software.

Licence and Credits

gcinvoice was written by Roman Bertle bertl at smoerz.org 2007-2008.  It
contains an adapted version of YAPTU, a templating utility written by
Alex Martelli. gcinvoice is published under the Python license.

Download, Installation and Documentation

Simply download the sources from http://www.smoerz.org/gcinvoice/,
unpack and follow the instructions in the contained README files.

Best Regards, and thanks to all developers of Gnucash

Roman Bertle