Another attempt to build gda-dev2

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 21:03:21 EDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just tried again to build gda-dev2, and again I am stuck at
> autogen.sh.
>
> README.dependencies lists lots of dependencies for various Linux
> distros, but makes no mention of fink for MacOSX 10.4, which is what
> I am trying to build for.
>
> Following the various instructions from here http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation#gnucash-2.2.x
>  hasn't helped either, gnucash v2.2.4 works, which seems to be as
> far as the documentation has gone.
>
> I have just successfully built gnucash v2.2.4 from source using fink
> update, but something in gda-dev2 is either different or missing to
> gnucash 2.2.4.
>
> Does anyone know what magic dependency I am missing?
>
> machine-of-doom:~/src/gnucash/gda-dev2 minfrin$ ./autogen.sh
> Creating /po/POTFILES.in ...
> Creating /aclocal.m4 ...
> Running glib-gettextize --force --copy ...
> GnuCash note: Please ignore the output of glib-gettextize below!
> Copying file mkinstalldirs
> Copying file po/Makefile.in.in
>
> Please add the files
>  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
>  progtest.m4
> from the /aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
> or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
> You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.
>
> GnuCash note: Please ignore the output of glib-gettextize above!
>
> Ensure aclocal.m4 is writable ...
> Ensure po/POTFILES.in is writable ...
> Running intltoolize --force --copy ...
> You should update your 'aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
> Running libtoolize --force --copy ...
> Running aclocal  -I macros ...
> aclocal:configure.in:52: warning: macro `AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2' not
> found in library
> aclocal:configure.in:82: warning: macro `AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not
> found in library
> aclocal:configure.in:230: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0' not
> found in library
> Running autoheader...
> Running automake --add-missing --gnu  ...
> src/business/business-gnome/schemas/Makefile.am:13:
> GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/business/business-gnome/schemas/Makefile.am:19:
> GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/gnome-utils/schemas/Makefile.am:13: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does
> not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/gnome-utils/schemas/Makefile.am:19: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does
> not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/gnome/schemas/Makefile.am:23: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not
> appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/gnome/schemas/Makefile.am:29: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not
> appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/import-export/hbci/schemas/Makefile.am:13: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL
> does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> src/import-export/hbci/schemas/Makefile.am:19: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL
> [...]

One thing that will be a problem is that to build from svn, you need
swig. Fink's swig (the guile parts, anyway) is based on guile 1.8, but
there is no slib-guile for guile 1.8.

What I did was to build my own version of swig in /opt, pointing it at
guile 1.6 (via guile16-build configure, etc.).

However, you may want to wait a while. I haven't had good experiences
with the gda-dev2 branch on my mac. It takes hours to convert a 3-year
gnucash file, and I have yet to succeed at opening any file created by
gda -- even a newly created file with a single transaction.

In the meantime, I might figure out how to get slib 3b1 into fink so
it won't conflict with the existing slib 2d6. I have 3b1 working with
guile 1.8, and I can build gnucash with them. Fink insists that I not
disable anything else that might depend on the old version of slib, so
I'm learning about how to move the new slib to somewhere it can work
without interfering (or maybe I just have to test everything in fink
that uses slib with 3b1...).

Dave
--
David Reiser