GDA: Status

Nathan Buchanan nbinont at gmail.com
Mon May 26 19:07:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Nathan Buchanan <nbinont at gmail.com>:
>
>  On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  Can't you just use "CREATE IF NOT EXIST" ?  Or is that not portable
>>> enough
>>> across various SQL implementations?
>>>

>> This is definately not portable. IIRC, it's a MySQL extension.
>>

> What makes you say that?

Because it's not part of the SQL standard. ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003, section 11.3
reference to an "IF NOT EXISTS" clause.

A while back Postgres debated the issue, determined that is wasn't in the
standard, and thus Postgres does not support it...at least not without
patches!

> SQLite supports it.

But...
Postgres does not support it (8.1)
Oracle does not support it (9.2)

(Not trying to be a pain here, I'd just rather we don't lock ourselves out
of many databases)

Nathan

--
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit