GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 26 19:17:30 EDT 2008

Quoting Nathan Buchanan <nbinont at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Nathan Buchanan <nbinont at gmail.com>:
>>
>>  On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Can't you just use "CREATE IF NOT EXIST" ?  Or is that not portable
>>>>

>>> This is definately not portable. IIRC, it's a MySQL extension.
>>>

>> What makes you say that?
>

> Because it's not part of the SQL standard. ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003, section 11.3
> reference to an "IF NOT EXISTS" clause.
>
> A while back Postgres debated the issue, determined that is wasn't in the
> standard, and thus Postgres does not support it...at least not without
> patches!
>

>> SQLite supports it.
>

> But...
> Postgres does not support it (8.1)
> Oracle does not support it (9.2)
>
> (Not trying to be a pain here, I'd just rather we don't lock ourselves out
> of many databases)
>
> Nathan

You know what?  I'd rather get something working with MySQL and SQLite
in 6 months, then getting something that MAY work with many more
DBs, maybe, if the dependencies fix their issues, in 12-18 months..
In other words... Frankly, I don't care about PG.  SQLite is the most
important DB in my mind.  MySQL and PG take second seat.   Anything
beyond those three take about 10th seat.