GDA: Status

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue May 27 10:07:51 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> SQLite gives you instantaneous commits, the #1 requested feature to
> prevent data loss due to users forgetting to click "save"!  And yes,
> the point (in my mind) is to move the default "file" backend from
> XML to SQLite; relegating XML to an import/export exchange format
> where it belongs.

Let me put it into perspective - for me the most important features are
automation, not the need to click save (which is not to say that such a
feature isn't a big deal for many other people out there).

The database access means that I can automate the sending of invoices,
automate the sending of statements, automate the statements from the
bank, and not have to waste my own time doing these myself.

What I have managed to do in the mean time is create a first pass at
online statements based on the XML file format, which isn't yet in a
form ready to be released (but plans are that it will be). Provision is
being made to slot in the DB stuff when it is ready (or ready enough to
work on MacosX, which is what I have available to me at the moment).

Regards,
Graham