GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 27 10:58:54 EDT 2008

Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> SQLite gives you instantaneous commits, the #1 requested feature to
>> prevent data loss due to users forgetting to click "save"!  And yes,
>> the point (in my mind) is to move the default "file" backend from
>> XML to SQLite; relegating XML to an import/export exchange format
>> where it belongs.
>
> Let me put it into perspective - for me the most important features
> are automation, not the need to click save (which is not to say that
> such a feature isn't a big deal for many other people out there).

I dont see how any of this gives you automation.  Keep in mind,
even when GnuCash moves to SQL, it is NOT SUPPORTED to modify the
database out from under GnuCash.  The DB is *JUST A DATA STORE*.
GnuCash is not a "DB App", the DB is just a backend data store.

> The database access means that I can automate the sending of invoices,
> automate the sending of statements, automate the statements from the
> bank, and not have to waste my own time doing these myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by this..  I suppose you could write
a program to read the contents out of the DB and print/email
invoices...  But you could already do that now with the XML
file.   Or better yet, write the code to add this to GnuCash
itself.

> What I have managed to do in the mean time is create a first pass at
> online statements based on the XML file format, which isn't yet in a
> form ready to be released (but plans are that it will be). Provision
> is being made to slot in the DB stuff when it is ready (or ready
> enough to work on MacosX, which is what I have available to me at the
> moment).

"online statements"?
Customer logs into your website and runs a web-app that reads
your gnucash XML file and displays something to them?

Wow, that's dangerous!