python bindings on ubuntu/debian

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Nov 25 05:28:13 EST 2008

Am Montag, 24. November 2008 18:52 schrieb Phil Longstaff:
> > > ok, then. Last question: is there any kind of schedule/idea of when
> > > the bindings will make it to a stable release and from thence to
> > > distro packages?
> >
> > Um, when 2.4 is ready?
> > The python bindings are not slated for backport to 2.2
>
> Is there either a proposed 2.4 date or feature set?

Neither. Feel free to send in a draft proposal for either one :-)

Seriously: Trunk will be turned into the 2.4.x branch as soon as the currently
active developers are convinced there are good reasons to do so. "Currently
active" developers is a blurry definition of who needs to agree to such a
decision, but I'd suggest counting 2-3 developers is already sufficient.

Discussing a desired feature set that isn't in 2.2 but in trunk would be a
good way to give such a good reason. Once several developers are convinced we
should go for 2.4.0, the "only" question is who's going to do the release
notes and who's going to do the bugfixing work during a few beta releases on
the way to 2.4.0.

As an example, my answer to these questions goes as follows: I'm all in for a
2.4.0 release ASAP; in fact, I already use it in daily work, despite its
potential pitfalls. On the other hand, I have only little time for bugfixing
and/or discussion of this and gnucash issues in general during November /
December this year (to give a number: approx. 3-4 hours per week). And I know
for certain that due to job changes in January I will have zero time for at
least the first half of next year (in numbers: at most 1 hour per week). In
other words, in 2009 I will agree to whatever those who do the work will
decide :-)

Regards,

Christian