GnuCash issue, possibly with gconf and locked files?

Pete Crite hypocrite at lawyer.com
Thu Oct 2 23:16:18 EDT 2008

Hi, I've just updated GnuCash from 2.2.5_0 to 2.2.7_1 on MacPorts
(ppc), and am having some problems.

Every time I open GnuCash, I get two error windows. One says: "The
configuration data used to specify default values for GnuCash cannot
be found in the default system locations. Without this data GnuCash
will still operate properly but it may require some extra time to
setup. Do you wish to setup the configuration data?." The other says:
"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information
for gnucash. Some of your configuration settings may not work
properly." When I get details on the latter, it says: "Failed to
contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need
to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due
to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: dbus-
launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch requested, but
X11 support not compiled in."

This happens every time I startup now (after this update), even after
I setup the preferences anew. Strangely, the preferences don't even
seem to stick. For example, when I select "negative amounts in red",
this does not occur in my accounts window. Also, other "on-the-fly"
preferences don't stick, such as the confirmation window I get when
changing the reconciliation state of transactions. When I select,
"don't warn me again", this is not remembered, and the windows will
still pop up.

It's also taking a ridiculous amount of CPU power, and is extremely
slow, which I guess is related, possibly to locked files??

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a bit of a X11/terminal
newbie, so please be gentle!