data dropped when upgrading from 1.8.9 to 2.2

Richard Bradley Richard.Bradley at cantab.net
Sun Oct 12 17:11:53 EDT 2008

Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2008, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008 21:16 schrieb Richard Bradley:
> > > Basically: my 1.8.9 accounts are read fine by the current version on
> > > Ubuntu (2.2.4), but lots of data gets dropped when I load them into the
> > > current version on Windows (2.2.5).
> >
> > Very weird. As it works with the Ubuntu version, my guess would go into the
> > direction of character encoding problems: The 1.8.x file was missing an
> > explicit specification of the character encoding used in the file, and even
> > a mixup of multiple encodings would have been possible. Not so in 2.x:
> > There will be one single encoding used in the file (UTF-8) and this will
> > also be noted in the very first line of the file. However, all sorts of
> > problems can occur during upgrading the 1.8 file with unknown encoding into
> > the 2.x file.
> >
> > Maybe the Ubuntu 2.2.4 version luckily picked up the correct encoding when
> > importing the old file, but the windows version was not so lucky...
> >
> > Christian
> >
> Not that I know much about this, but it may be worth mentioning anyway...
>
> Christian's explanation would mean that if you manage to load the file
> successfully in Ubuntu with version 2.2.4 and save the file there, that saved
> file should have the correct character encodings set. It may be worth to try
> and load this new file into the 2.2.5 Windows version of Gnucash. Chances are
> this will work now and you won't need the overhead of VirtualBox.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Christian: It might well be that; yes. I remember being prompted with a
character-conversion question when opening the accounts in Ubuntu, but
not when opening them in Windows.

All of the account names are in ascii, but some of the transaction
comments have non-ascii chars like the Euro symbol.

It would make sense for the default non-unicode charset to be the same
between Ubuntu and FreeBSD, but different between Windows and FreeBSD.

Geert: Sounds like that might well work, but I think I'll stick with the
linux version, since I also had trouble with the window not painting
properly after scrolling in Windows, and everything is working very well
in the linux version.

Rich