More problems with Finance::Quote Yahoo Europe feed?

Conor O'Neill conor_lists at puddle.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 12:31:23 EDT 2008

I am using GnuCash 2.2.4 on Mandriva 2008.1. I have just installed
Finance::Quote and it has installed version 1.14.

If I try to download a US stock symbol, I successfully get a quote. I
can show this from the command line as:

$ gnc-fq-dump yahoo AMZN
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AMZN                 <=== required
      date: 10/16/2008           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 45.405               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 45.405               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

[ note that the date field is OK ]

If I try a British fund symbol, using yahoo Europe, I get this:

$ gnc-fq-dump europe GB0001036531GBP
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: GB0001036531GBP      <=== required
      date: 00/00/2000           <=== required
  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
      last: 122.20               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 122.20               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This stock quote cannot be used by gnucash!!

[ broken date, and no currency field ]

I know this is something to do with changes to the format made by Yahoo
Europe and/or Yahoo USA in the last few months. I have looked at various
other threads about this, and I see that there are suggestions to edit
files within Finance::Quote, namely Europe.pm and Base.pm. However, if I
edit Base.pm, then my US quotes don't work. And at the moment, if I try
editing both Base.pm and Europe.pm as suggested, then neither US nor
British quotes work! :-(

I suspect that some of the suggestions made in previous threads might
have been superseeded by a newer version of Finance::Quote (version 1.14
was only released yesterday!). I'd really like to get my British fund
quotes working again; I'm less bothered about the US quotes.

Can anyone who knows a bit more about the Yahoo quotes suggest a set of
edits which might get my Yahoo Europe quotes working again?

Many thanks for your help,

- --
Conor O'Neill, at home in Bristol, UK