scripting

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Oct 19 15:41:03 EDT 2008

Hi Ian,

Am Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2008 20:52 schrieb Ian Smith-Heisters:
> p.s. apologies if -devel isn't the right place for this, I'm not sure
> if this is technically userland or devland.

-devel is the absoutely right place for this.

> I've been googling and searching the wiki for documentation, but
> haven't found much, particularly for write access. Are best practices
> for reading/writing the account file outside of the GnuCash GUI
> documented anywhere? Is the API documented anywhere (besides RTFS)?

No, the API is documented nowhere else besides the source, but the source
documentation is prepared for doxygen processing whose result is online here
http://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/

> I've seen references to a Python-SWIG binding, what other options are
> there besides C? Would Scheme work, or is it only prepared for writing
> reports that integrate with the GnuCash GUI?

Python is what has been integrated most recently, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Python_Bindings and
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.devel/23800

Theoretically Scheme should work as well for such scripted jobs with opening a
file, changing something, and saving again. However I don't know how to do
that :-)

Regards,

Christian