More problems with Finance::Quote Yahoo Europe feed?

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 13:29:51 EDT 2008

Conor O'Neill wrote:

> Thanks for this.
>
> However, all we're actually doing is chasing around in circles every
> time someone twitches one of these web pages. There must be a better way.
>
> I can't believe that there isn't a proper _web service_ available
> somewhere which can provide stock prices and/or fund prices. It is the
> canonical example which is always supplied when starting work on web
> services. This would avoid the perpetual chasing of every minor adjustment.
>
> I have looked for one myself, but never found any documented web service
> available. But there must be one out there? It doesn't have to be an
> up-to-the-minute feed; one of the 20-minute delayed feeds would be fine,
> or even just a feed which gives daily closing prices.
>
> Then, presumably, there could be a separate module within Finance::Quote
> which would access this web service directly, instead of screen-scraping
> off a web page.
>
> Is this really too much to ask?

Yes.

Every one of the web sites showing quotes has a revenue stream
supporting it. Finance-quote users represent zero contribution to any of
those streams. Most of the money streams for public sites are ad
revenue, but we're not ever seeing the ads.

The idea of a grand unification of any kind of data is always logically
seductive, but almost always way too expensive to implement practically.
Just in the US, you'd have to deal with the oddities presented by NYSE,
AMEX, and NASDAQ -- and I suspect each of those has either paying or
reciprocal data sharing agreements with a number of data providers for
some aspect of their datasets. Everyone who imagines that they add value
wants to get paid, and paid a lot.

A finance-quote module developer once got a letter threatening legal
action against him because the 'provider' insisted that screen scraping
of a publicly accessible web page was a violation of their terms of
service. It's hard to believe that publicly posted information can be
legally restricted, but do you want to pay the legal fees to fight that
action?

BTW, Yahoo quotes are not done by screen scraping. Yahoo_* support a
database back end query for historical data. So while I'm frustrated by
Yahoo's changing and inconsistent-across-geographic-regions service, it
is still a really good deal. Some of those inconsistencies arise because
different financial markets see no reason to try for world-wide
agreement. Perhaps the advent of the Euro pushed the move toward ISIN
use instead of existing fund ticker symbols. I doubt the US would agree
to that switch ('our symbols work fine for us...'). And on it goes.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Google will decide consolidate access to the
data in a parsable way.

Dave
--
David Reiser