Documentation Nightly Builds

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 16 08:37:52 EDT 2008

"Tom Browder" <tom.browder at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "standalone development tree".
>> If you know what Makefile entries you need to make to get it
>> to work then I don't see why you couldn't put those Makefile
>> entries into the existing gnucash-docs Makefile.
>
> What I meant is that maybe whatever it takes (within reason) to make
> the correct pdf should be in the gnucash-docs source tree instead of
> trying to find it with the autotools.

Ah, I see.  Well, I suppose that's an option too.

> Otherwise it seems that the right Makefile entries depend on finding
> the right inputs in a set of many possibilities.

True, but it's pretty easy to write a configure scriptlet that
says something like:

  if [ -d /path/to/place1 ] ; then
     docbookargs="-- place 1"
  elif [ -d /path/to/place2 ] ; then
     docbookargs="-- place 2"

> I can point to at least one sourceforge project that has a problem
> with uneven development of projects it depends on, so they load their
> source tree with the version they need.  It effectively forces the
> user to a specific version of that dependency.

We try really hard not to load our tree with dependencies.  There
are, however, times when we do need to for one reason or another.
So I wouldn't rule it out, but honestly I'd rather see it working
using an installed docbook tree.