import/export bounty

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Sep 22 22:46:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:03:24PM -0700, Ian Turner wrote:
> Why is it that all the bounties seem to come from people named Ian?
>
> Let me know if you get a response to this; I didn't get anything back from my
> proposed bounty earlier this year.

I'm no core dev, so take this with a grain of salt... And I don't
speak for anyone but myself and these are only my opinions of the
situation.

Gnucash is strapped for developer cycles. THere are really only a
couple of people who are actively writing code at the moment. There
are a handful of others who are very definitely *around*, but don't
have time to do much more than answer user questions. There are a
number of other hangers-on (myself included) who lack both the time
and the knowledge to do anything more than surface fixes and bug
triaging.

That makes it pretty hard to come up with people in a position to deal
with bounty work. Those who might have the time don't necessarily have
the knowledge to dive in and get one of these things done. Those who
have the knowledge to tackle these things don't really have the time
or are buried in other gnucash work at the moment.

Also, both of your requests are, I suspect, pretty big problems to
implement in the current code base. The ideas are pretty simple but
the solutions seem like they'd be pretty complex. I know that if I was
to tackle either one of these it would take me a *lot* of time to even
get my knowledge up to a level where I could start...