import/export bounty

Ian Smith-Heisters i at idiosyncra.tc
Mon Sep 22 23:07:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:03:24PM -0700, Ian Turner wrote:
>> Why is it that all the bounties seem to come from people named Ian?
>>
>> Let me know if you get a response to this; I didn't get anything back from my
>> proposed bounty earlier this year.
>>

> I'm no core dev, so take this with a grain of salt... And I don't
> speak for anyone but myself and these are only my opinions of the
> situation.
>
> Gnucash is strapped for developer cycles. THere are really only a
> couple of people who are actively writing code at the moment. There
> are a handful of others who are very definitely *around*, but don't
> have time to do much more than answer user questions. There are a
> number of other hangers-on (myself included) who lack both the time
> and the knowledge to do anything more than surface fixes and bug
> triaging.
>
> That makes it pretty hard to come up with people in a position to deal
> with bounty work. Those who might have the time don't necessarily have
> the knowledge to dive in and get one of these things done. Those who
> have the knowledge to tackle these things don't really have the time
> or are buried in other gnucash work at the moment.
>
> Also, both of your requests are, I suspect, pretty big problems to
> implement in the current code base. The ideas are pretty simple but
> the solutions seem like they'd be pretty complex. I know that if I was
> to tackle either one of these it would take me a *lot* of time to even
> get my knowledge up to a level where I could start...

That's really unfortunate.

Is there a possibility that if we got enough bounties together that
there could be a contract for a third party in this?

I'd be willing to donate *something* towards getting GnuCash out of
the sort of rut you describe. I bet we could get other users to do the
same. Perhaps a pledge drive is in order?

If the shortage of developer cycles is really as intractable as you
make it sound, I fear this project will eventually become stagnant and
obsolete. Should I be looking at investing my time and money into
another OSS accounting software project that has more steam ;) ?