import/export bounty

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 23 16:44:52 EDT 2008

Quoting Ian Smith-Heisters <i at idiosyncra.tc>:

>> Not technically impossible - just very expensive.  I'd consider myself
>> very familiar with the GnuCash codebase, but I'm not cheap and have
>> effectively zero "free" time for GnuCash for the foreseeable future.
>> I'm sure I'm not the only one.
>>
>>> I'm also willing to put my time into getting more funds together,
>>> but I won't do it without the support of the core team.
>>
>> Not to discourage you _at_all_, but just so you're aware what kind of
>> investment would be required to make a significant impact on GnuCash,
>> you should probably be thinking in the $15k-$50k+ range before this
>> starts looking viable.
>>

> How did you arrive at those figures? It'd be useful to know what needs
> to get done before any features can be added, and how much time is
> involved since the $ sum will differ depending on who's doing the
> work. Nonetheless, those figures aren't at all surprising.

I'd guess those numbers are for a 1-6 month project depending
on the developer.  It's close to numbers I would give too.  The
actual number is definitely based on the complexity of the project
as well as the cost of the person doing the work.

> Has GnuCash considered doing a Google Summer of Code? I would be
> unqualified to act as a mentor, but I'd be willing to do the tedious
> administravia. Again, I'd need the support of the core team.

We did the GSoC in 2007.  We got 4 students, and only two of them
actually did anything.  The CSV importer is actually in trunk, but
it has lots of problems.