request for help preparing balance line chart report for inclusion in trunk

Tim Abell tim at timwise.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 19:27:58 EDT 2009

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:35:18AM +0100, Tim Abell wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've got a workable scm report that shows balance of an account over
>> time as a line graph.
>> The source can be found at:
>> http://github.com/timabell/gnucash-account-balance-chart/commits/balance-chart
>>
>> I'd love to see this included in the trunk of gnucash at some point but
>> am aware that there are a few shortcomings.
>>
>> Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me get this
>> report up to scratch so it can be submitted for inclusion?
>>

> without actually going to look at the code at the moment, in what way
> do you feel it has shortcomings? provided the report 1) *works*, 2)
> more or less follows the style and structure of the existing reports,
> and 3) doesn't have any obvious crasher bugs (by that I mean well
> tested, especially in a multi-currency configuration and some corner
> cases, like no account selected etc) then it should be good.
>
> As Derek said, provide a patch against trunk and attach it to a RFE
> bug, or post it as an attachment to this thread, and I'll look it
> over.

Thanks for your comments,

1) It worked for me, hopefully it would work for others, though I can't
tell from here :-) I found it quite enlightening being able to visualize
the ups and downs of my accounts.
2) On the code side, it was mostly a copy and paste job, so hopefully
not too far out. On the display side, it's nothing more than the
selected account name and the graph, though I'm sure it would benefit
from some extra work.
3) It's probably not terribly bad data proof so that would likely be an
area for extra work, and I haven't done any work on other currencies,
and I'm afraid I hard coded pounds as the scale (bad programmer!).

Current version attached.

Yours

Tim