transaction corrections

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 7 11:15:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 06:44:58AM -0700, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> True.  However, gnucash is not, and does not pretend to be, a
> professional accounting program.  I believe it started as a personal
> accounting program and expanded to business use.
>
> I would not be averse to having a "professional" mode which
> prevented transactions from being edited or deleted (other than text
> edits to description and memos).  However, since gnucash is produced
> by volunteers, I don't think anyone is going to jump on this in the
> near future.

further, as has been discussed here before, there is nothing to
prevent a sufficiently sophisticated user from either 1) turning off
the "professional" mode, making a change and then turning it back
on, or 2) manually editting the file or database to alter
transactions.

such a feature is, IMO, useless, and provides a false sense of
security.

.02