New gnucash Mac OSX binaries fail to start

Bryce Poole compengr3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:18:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM, John
Ralls<jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Bryce Poole wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> The result of ls -l /opt is:
>> total 8
>> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin   20 Aug 22 12:26 gnucash-2.2.9 ->
>> ./Contents/Resources
>> drwxr-xr-x   11 root  admin  374 Mar  9 20:43 local
>>
>> Obviously, this is wrong.  So I removed the link
>> sudo rm /opt/gnucash-2.2.9
>>
>> The re-ran GnuCash-Intel from Finder.  It requested my password then
>> crashed.  Now the result of ls -l /opt is:
>> total 8
>> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin   50 Aug 25 17:33 gnucash-2.2.9 ->
>> /Applications/GnuCash-Intel.app/Contents/Resources
>> drwxr-xr-x   11 root  admin  374 Mar  9 20:43 local
>>
>> Progress.  But now when I double-click on GnuCash-Intel it immediately
>> closes.  The Console app has the following:
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>>  Referenced from:
>> /Applications/GnuCash-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/GnuCash-bin
>>  Reason: Incompatible library version: GnuCash-bin requires version
>> 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0
>>
>> What would you recommend?  Incidentally, I remember reading that you
>> were considering providing nightly builds.  Is that available yet?
>>

> Bryce,
>
> Ah, 10.5 (Leopard) provides compat level 7, 10.4 provides 5. I thought I had
> the sdk code turned in jhbuild on to use the 10.4 SDK, but maybe there's a
> problem with it.
>
> You *could* upgrade to Leopard (after all, on Friday you'll be 2 versions
> behind!) ;-)
>
> As it happens, though, I'll soon be re-releasing Gnucash-2.2.9 with
> aqbanking working correctly, and I'll make sure that the 10.4 version of
> libiconv (and everything else) gets pulled in.
>
> Derek is too busy to set up nightly builds, but you wouldn't want to go that
> way anyway. Nightly build code is horribly unstable, and you'd be nuts to
> use it for production.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I am two versions behind but it costs me $180 upgrade... That'll take
some smooth talking to the significant other. :)

Thanks for making the change to include 10.4 in the build.  Drop me a
line when the changes is made and I'll try to test it out for you.

The reason I'm after the unstable code is because I wrote software
that takes advantage of the new sqlite database.  I'd like to test it
out.  I could re-written the data component to parse the XML file.  I
suppose that would probably be the way to go until 2.4 is released.

Thanks again for the help,

Bryce