Payment dialog proposal

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Dec 8 11:29:28 EST 2009

On Tuesday 8 December 2009, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
> > On Monday 7 December 2009, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Looks fine to me.
> >>
> >> Also, if there is some way you can signal that the Invoice/Bill
> >> selection is *optional* that would be good, too.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >
> > I could add a tooltip to the corresponding widgets ? Problem is, the
> > "owner" can be Vendor or Customer, and "invoice" can become Invoice or
> > Bill. So I'm unsure I can come up with a wording that is independent of
> > this, unless something like this will do for now:
>
> I was thinking maybe something like:
>
> Customer:  [=====]
> * Invoice: [=====]
>
> * Optional Entry

I did consider this, or setting Invoice in italics as an alternative. But in
my opinion this solution clutters the dialog a bit more. Also, if we do this
for one entry, shouldn't we be doing this for all optional fields, at least in
this dialog, but maybe even in all dialogs ?

> But a tooltip is good too.
>
> >   The Invoice/Bill to assign this payment to. Note that is field is
> > optional. If you leave it blank, GnuCash will automatically assign the
> > payment to the first unpaid invoice/bill for this customer/vendor.
>
> Can't you make the tooltip dependent on the underlying type?  The labels
> change, why not the tooltip too based on the underlying one?

Yes, I can. But that would require changes to the code, where my proposal only
affected the glade file. This is pure laziness on my side, I admit... I'll see
if I can find some time later this week to do it properly.

Geert