Source string change request / Feature request

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Dec 22 17:02:13 EST 2009

Am Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 schrieb Mark Haanen:
> One quick and one complex question.
>
>      1. Would it be possible to change the source strings for lines 2275
>         in src/gnome/druid-loan.c so that it's no longer a
>         concatenation, but two separate strings ("Escrow Payment" /
>         "Payment")? This would allow me to properly translate the first
>         term into Dutch.

Sure. Does this concern only exactly this one string in druid-loan.c:2275?

>      2. There are several options programmed into GnuCash which are
>         heavily locale-dependent (Income Tax springs to mind). It would
>         be nice to either describe this dependency within the strings of
>         said options (allowing users to steer clear) or to be able to
>         activate/deactivate these features by selecting additional
>         locales from the Preferences dialog (while defaulting to the
>         user's defined locale).

Which options do you have in mind? Taxes are the one big exception of all
localization attempts, and I would go as far as claiming there is almost no
point in translating the en_US tax explanations because they are useless
outside of the U.S. anyway. Online Banking is probably the only other
exception we have. Is there anything more? I don't have any easy solutions for
both, though, except that the documentation should say somewhere prominently
that those are only valid in the U.S. (or, in case of Online Banking, in a few
countries).

Regards,

Christian