Best Repositories for GnuCash in Ubuntu ?

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Sun Feb 15 10:08:52 EST 2009

Tommy,

thank you for your mail which I guess would have been more appropriate
on the -user list (which I don't follow ;-))

We had a similar discussion on the german ML the other day.  I'm not
sure what to tell you.  Except that you did the right thing in NOT
installing some random deb off the internet.

I don't know Christoph Korn or how reliable his packaging skills are.
The Ubuntu Packaging Team formed at the time when HBCI, which is rather
important for German online banking, was deactivated in Debian due to
licensing issues.  I guess one of the aims was to make the transition to
dfsg-free code smoother and better tested by putting out non-official
packages.  If there was another important feature in upstream gnucash
stable not yet packaged in Debian or Ubuntu, you might again see
unofficial packages, but don't hold your breath.

What exactly is it in 2.2.8 that you need and that is not in 2.2.6?
Just the rush of running the latest?  Try Gentoo, then ;-)  Otherwise, I
think the best advice I can give is to just be satisfied with the stable
release that ubuntu provides you with and let other people do the testing.

I'm not sure if Saïvann does packaging.  But I'm rather sure that
neither Reinhard nor me intend to bypass the debian queue on a permanent
basis just so as to supply ubuntu users with more recent packages.  If
the need arises I will be happy to provide backports of gnucash for
ubuntu users of stable releases (anything non-Jaunty currently) in my
private or the group's PPA.  Feel free to alert me of such a need but be
prepared to give me a good reason why you think a backport is necessary.
  I usually will not backport anything newer than what is available in
the latest ubuntu release.  Please don't be offended if I don't think a
backport is necessary (or too difficult, or me too busy, ...)

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards

Rolf