Best Repositories for GnuCash in Ubuntu ?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:18:03 EST 2009

I was just looking over the GnuCash wiki at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/ and I noticed that the latest package
available in the unofficial Ubuntu Packaging Team PPA
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu#LaunchPad is 2.2.6, but the Debian
information http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Debian recommends using
GetDeb.net -- which not only contains the more recent version 2.2.8,
but the wiki describes GetDeb as "being targeted toward Ubuntu users."

I have not used GetDeb.net so I don't know how reliable or
authoritative its packages may be. Does anyone here have experience
with it, or is the person who uploaded the package to GetDeb
(Christoph Korn) active on this list? I would be hesitant to recommend
it if nobody is familiar with it.

I suspect the Ubuntu Packaging Team is packaging the latest in Debian
Unstable (currently 2.2.6), which I think most people would consider
fairly reliable and authoritative, if not completely up-to-date. (I
see Reinhard Tartler, Rolf Leggewie, and Saïvann Carignan listed as
members of that team.)

I am curious about the delays in getting updated packages to Ubuntu
via Debian but I haven't seen a place where ongoing discussion happens
except in specific bug reports. Is Debian packaging of GnuCash pretty
much dependent upon Thomas Bushnell alone? My impression is that the
Debian process produces a high degree of accountability and stability,
but is slowed by its support for so many platforms. I'm sure GnuCash
also is more complicated than most.

I have wondered how more Ubuntu folks might help and/or make the
process smoother. Is there a forum or list where these issues get
discussed? Has there been any discussion of getting a dedicated
developer who could promote GnuCash into Ubuntu's Main repository?

(my apologies for sending a single message with so many questions.... )