Support for multiple account types for an account placeholder

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 24 09:26:59 EST 2009

<marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:12:33 -0500, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>> Adding new account types is... challenging...  Mostly it's a
>> problem because of backwards compatibility..  You need to make sure
>> that you add the logic for the new account well before you add the
>> code to support using it.
>
> Just to clarify this:
> Is it policy for gnucash-development that you shall be able to open
> files written by newer versions with a reasonably new but older
> version of gnucash?
> Did I understand your "well before" correctly?

Yes, you did.  And with few exceptions have we broken that
rule.  We did break it with Scheduled Transactions between....
1.8->2.0?  Or maybe 2.0->2.2 (I forget which).   However
we really want reasonable "new" releases of version N-1 to
be able to read data files created by release N.