Building problems on win32

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue Jan 6 17:45:03 EST 2009

msys/mingw finally fixed a bug that was preventing me from building gnc
from source (see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/28356/focus=28594>).

packaging/win32/install.sh does not work without several changes. The
URLs for libxslt, gwenhywfar, and aqbanking all appear to be dead. The
following substitute URLs appeared to work, though:

LIBXSLT_URL="http://xmlsoft.org/sources/win32/oldreleases/libxslt-1.1.19.win32.zip"
GWENHYWFAR_URL="http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/distfiles/gwenhywfar-3.4.1.tar.gz"
AQBANKING_URL="http://www2.aquamaniac.de/sites/download/download.php?package=03&release=17&file=01&dummy=aqbanking-3.7.2.tar.gz"

I also eventually gave up on building aqbanking with QT so set
AQBANKING_WITH_QT to 'no'; but install.sh attempts to build aqbanking
with backend 'aqdtaus', which no longer exists as a separate backend in
the version of aqbanking specified in install.sh. I got around this by
substituting "all" for the list of backends previously specified in
install.sh (aqdtaus, aqhbci, aqofxconnect).

htmlhelper had to be manually installed into c:\soft\hh; a more recent
version was already installed in the default location on my machine
(under c:\program files), which the installer did not pick up on. I
couldn't figure out any work around other than to just copy C:\Program
Files\HTML Help Workshop to c:\soft\hh.

I also had to manually copy several DLLs to get xmlmerge.exe to work in
the build process; I had to copy those same DLLs to the gnc bin
installation folder to get gnc to run once it was built.

So after a full day of churning, I finally had a successful build from
svn. Well, almost. gnc runs to the point of showing the tip of the day
and the splash screen, but then dies silently. Here is the log:

*   WARN <gnc.module> Failed to dlopen()
'c:\soft\gnucash\inst\lib\gnucash\libgncmod-aqbanking.dll': The
specified module could not be found.
*   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 2148 bytes.
The identifiers might not be very random.
*   WARN <gnc.engine> failed to load gncmod-backend-dbi from C:\Program
Files\gnucash\lib\gnucash
*   CRIT <gnc.engine> required library gncmod-backend-dbi not found.
*   WARN <gnc.engine> failed to load gncmod-backend-xml from C:\Program
Files\gnucash\lib\gnucash
*   CRIT <gnc.engine> required library gncmod-backend-xml not found.
*   CRIT <gnc.gui> [gnc_gnome_locate_data_file()] Could not locate file
ui/gnc-plugin-csv-ui.xml
*   WARN <gnc.module> Initialization failed for module
gnucash/business-core-xml
*   WARN <gnc.module> Initialization failed for module
gnucash/business-core-sql
*   WARN <gnc.bin> GnuCash engine failed to initialize.  Exiting.

So I still can't run gnc svn (which I'm trying to do to test out the fix
to bug #426111), but I thought I'd pass this all along in case it helps
improve the build process.