Enhancement request: 'Native' importing of '.CSV' files

Dave dave at davestechshop.net
Thu Jan 22 16:26:31 EST 2009

I want to report some observations (bugs?) regarding gnucash's OFX import
function.

With the import of any OFX file I have tested, there is a reproducible bug.
The bug shows up in two different ways depending on the content of the
ACCTTYPE element in the OFX file.

*Case 1:*
<ACCTTYPE>*MONEYMRKT*</BANKACCTFROM>

This will cause the new account dialog to malfunction such that you cannot
create a new account while importing the data in this OFX file.

Here is how to reproduce it.

open a newcash file (or make an new file with common accounts).
file > import > ofx
choose file
click import
At "Select Account" dialog, click "New Account"
In "New Account" dialog (for USD), notice that the Account Type listbox in
the lower left contains no items.
Trying to create an account will result in the error dialog "You must select
an account type". However, you are not able to select one because the
listbox is empty.

Notice that account name is "USD" and description is "US Dollar". These
values are showing up in the incorrect fields.
Notice also that Security/Currency is correctly populated with USD (US
Dollar).

This bug totally stops one from importing data for a money market account
and creating that account anew during the import process.

*Case 2:*
<ACCTTYPE>*anything other than value in case 1 above*</BANKACCTFROM>

This will cause the new account dialog to fail to properly populate the
Security/Currency field.

open a newcash file (or make an new file with common accounts).
file > import > ofx
choose file
click import
At "Select Account" dialog, click "New Account"
In "New Account" dialog (for USD), notice that Security/Currency is empty.
It should be populated as in Case 1.

Notice that account name is "USD" and description is "US Dollar". These
values are showing up in the incorrect fields again.
Notice also that you can manually select a value for Security/Currency, so
this bug is not a show stopper but it is an inconvenience.

I have tested this for several hours. I don't guarantee that I have covered
everything or that what I'm reporting is 100% correct. I do not have the
gnucash source code, so I haven't tried to step through this or do anything
more than hand-edit some OFX files and see what results gnucash gives when I
test the OFX import.

I have used OFX files from several different banks, and I have tested with
different versions of OFX. I'm getting the same results (as reported above)
each time.