Translation commit workflow

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Jan 24 04:41:34 EST 2009

Dear Cristian,

the commit workflow for "normal program source code" is very different from
the workflow for translations! For you, only the workflow for translations
applies, and I'll explain this below.

When committing a translation, you have two different cases: Either the
translation already exists and you are updating it, or you want to add a
brand-new translation.

Updating an existing translation must *always* happen on the stable branch
(which is "2.2" right now), not on the experimental development branch which
is called "trunk". I tried to clarify this already on
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status but it seems this is quite a
difficult issue again and again. Hence, updating the existing zh_CN.po file
must be done from a 2.2 local copy which you created with your "cmarchi"
account.

From what you've written below, it seems you obtained one 2.2 local copy using
the anonymous read-only access ("svn checkout http:...") and one trunk local
copy using your "cmarchi" account. If this is what you have, you need to
additionally obtain one 2.2 local copy using your cmarchi account:

  svn checkout svn+ssh://cmarchi@svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/branches/2.2
src-2.2

all in one line, and the last argument is your local directory name which you
can choose to be whatever you want. In that local copy you should save the
updated zh_CN.po file, then commit with the command that you already wrote
below.

  svn commit -m "Update of Chinese translation by Wang binbin" po/zh_CN.po

(I would like to ask to start the commit message sentence with an upper-case
letter, just as any normal sentence.)

This described the workflow for updating a translation.

When adding a brand-new translation, we need to not only add the new file, but
additionally we need to change some other files in the overall build system,
to which you currently don't have write access. In that case, you need to
forward this email to gnucash-devel and/or me, and we'll take care of this
step. (Indeed in this particular case we'll add the new translation both to
trunk and 2.2, but this concerns only the "add new" part.) From then onwards,
the new translation only needs to be updated, which is the first case above,
and this should again only be done in the 2.2 branch.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might encounter. Looking forward to
your "first commit" :-) ,

Christian