Two Income Statement patches: Assets & Value

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 28 23:59:13 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 05:46:08PM -0500, Frédéric Brière wrote:
> [Please CC any replies, as I'm not subscribed]
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I switched my business accouting from a clunky home-made script+database
> to Gnucash several months ago -- kudos for all your work!  Having now
> finished my first tax report based on Gnucash's reports, here are two
> things I found lacking in those reports:
>
> * In addition to revenues and expenses, I also needed to know how much
>   was spent on assets, for depreciation purposes.  Unfortunately, even
>   though I can select asset accounts for an Income Statement report,
>   only income and expenses accounts are displayed in the end result.
>   Substracting last year's balance sheet from this year's kinda sucks
>   (especially when coupled with the second point).

I don't want to rain on your parade, but in my opinion this is the
wrong thing to do.

What would be better is to have a separate balance sheet report that
provides the delta over a time period. I don't begin to know how to do
that, but IMO, it is the proper thing to do.

Allowing assets into an income statement flies in the face of any
accounting I've seen. Note that IANAA.