Postgres on Windows

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sat Jul 4 18:11:15 EDT 2009

On July 4, 2009 05:43:37 pm Peter Hansen wrote:
> Phil Longstaff wrote:
> > I think I've finally updated the right stuff to include the postgres
> > libdbi driver in the nightly windows builds.  In order to build this
> > correctly, you'll need to remove your pgsql directory and the
> > downloads/pgsql- win32.tar.gz file.
>
> I was just able to build successfully with Postgres (using r18172), on
> Vista Home "Premium" (ugh).
>
> My problems from before appear to have been related to using the latest
> MSYS, 1.0.11-rc-1.  Once I gave up, then later decided to try again from
> scratch, I installed 1.0.10 instead.  At that point, a build with
> AQBANKING_WITH_QT=no and AQBANKING3=no completed with no issues that are
> not already noted on the web page (e.g. had to create /c/soft/tools by
> hand, etc.).
>
> I do get a Windows error on startup because of libmysql.dll missing,
> which is fine (because it is).  I assume that's related to some
> auto-inspection of my environment.  Also had to put the Postgres bin
> folder in my PATH as well or I got the same for libpq.dll.  Other than
> that, appears to work.

If you remove libdbdmysql.dll from the gnucash install, it would probably not
try to load libmysql.dll, and so that error would go away.  Or, you can just
ignore the error.

> Busily testing... I've got 5341 transactions of QIF data to import and
> sort out so that should let me kick a few of the tires. :)
>
> Anything in particular I might be able to help test out?  I expect to be
> using this for production purposes (with careful backups and monitoring)
> in the near future.

Do you know how to use logging?  I'm not sure where it goes on windows, but
you should have a .gnucash directory somewhere (under Documents and
Settings\user)?  If you add "gnc.backend.dbi=debug" to the log.conf file (or
add --log gnc.backend.dbi=debug" to the command line, all SQL statements will
be logged into your gnucash.trace file (on windows, gnucash.trace.XXXXXX is put
into Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp, XXXXXX is a 6-char
item).

I've done some basic testing with all dbs, but have really only used sqlite3.
I don't know how queries will perform on the other dbs.  What indexes will be
needed?

From what I know, all of the basic data entry works.  I haven't tested the
business reports which large amounts of data.  Recently, I rewrote the basic
split query based on feedback from a postgresql user.   If you find adding a
specific index helps performance, let me know.  At this point, gnucash is *NOT*
a db app using foreign keys, so there are no foreign key defs.

Phil