GnuCash OSX

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jul 11 13:57:04 EDT 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a fan of /usr/local -- I'd recommend something like /opt/
> gnucash.
> How about this:  We use something like /opt/gnucash-<version> and just
> make that a symlink into wherever GnuCash.App gets put?  So when we
> run
> GnuCash.App the first thing it does is determine its location and then
> creates the /opt/gnucash-<version> symlink?
>
> Or maybe we can do this as part of the "Install" process?
>
> Then all the files can still live under GnuCash.App, and the user can
> still put GnuCash.App wherever they want..  They can even have
> multiple
> versions sitting side-by-side..  And all we need is a "magic symlink"
> to make it work?

What a delightfully sneaky idea! Easy to test out, too. I'll report
back. (In my exploration I found some more things that need to get
moved into the bundle, so there's a bit more work than just to create
the softlink and try it out, and I've got a bunch of real-life stuff
to do today.)

Regards,
John Ralls