GnuCash OSX

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jul 12 20:10:47 EDT 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 10:57 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not a fan of /usr/local -- I'd recommend something like /opt/
>> gnucash.
>> How about this:  We use something like /opt/gnucash-<version> and
>> just
>> make that a symlink into wherever GnuCash.App gets put?  So when we
>> run
>> GnuCash.App the first thing it does is determine its location and
>> then
>> creates the /opt/gnucash-<version> symlink?
>>
>> Or maybe we can do this as part of the "Install" process?
>>
>> Then all the files can still live under GnuCash.App, and the user can
>> still put GnuCash.App wherever they want..  They can even have
>> multiple
>> versions sitting side-by-side..  And all we need is a "magic symlink"
>> to make it work?
>>

> What a delightfully sneaky idea! Easy to test out, too. I'll report
> back. (In my exploration I found some more things that need to get
> moved into the bundle, so there's a bit more work than just to
> create the softlink and try it out, and I've got a bunch of real-
> life stuff to do today.)

It works, too!

I need to rebuild everything in /opt/gnucash-foo, but if I build app
dmgs (one each for intel and ppc, since I'm still having trouble with
getting gtk+ to build universal) for 2.2.9, will you guys put them up
in your downloads area on sourceforge? I think it makes more sense
there than in gtk-osx.

Derek, Charles Day either has or is about to commit the patches. Do
you need any help setting up your build mac for the daily snapshots?

Oh, there is one other thing that I need to go bang on. For some
reason in the last month or so Price Editor stopped working, both on
2.2.9 and on svn.

Regards
John Ralls