Online OFX import of Investment Statements

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at buffalo.edu
Mon Jul 20 09:40:00 EDT 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:
>

>> I'm not sure how the 'lots' function is intended to work. It would be
>> a good idea to at least understand that plan so that you don't do
>> something that impedes lots when they finally hit release status.
>>

> Lots are designed to help you map buys and sells.  Beyond that I'm
> not sure what to tell you about "how [they are] intended to work".
>

>> Dave
>>

> -derek

I might point out that in their present implementation, there is no
provision at all for spin-offs, stock distributions (and maybe return of
capital) - in fact there is no apparent support for this kind of stuff
in GC at all. It appears as if "lots" would only be really useful in
uncomplicated stock transactions - i.e., no splits, spin-offs, etc -
when it is desired to sell from a specific lot for more favorable tax
treatment. Since much of the data in lots is not directly editable, all
the other calculations relating to more complicated stock trades (basis
value allocation to multiple stocks, etc.) need to be done the old
fashioned way - paper and calculator.

Steve Besch